Stapleford, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire, near Shelford station on the Cambridge section of the G.E.R., and 4½ miles SSE of Cambridge. There is a post office under Cambridge; money order and telegraph office. Great. Shelford. Acreage, 1835; population, 519. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Gog-Magog-Hills House is a seat of Lord Cardross. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; gross value, £185 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The church. is a very ancient edifice of stone and clunch in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave,, aisles, S porch, and a western tower with five bells and spire. There is a Baptist chapel. William Lee of the Batley school,-Yorkshire, was forty-seven years vicar in the time of Queen Elizabeth. There is a floor brass to his memory in the church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stapleford St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Chesterton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stapleford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stapleford (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stapleford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.