UK Genealogy Archives logo

Edington, Somerset

Historical Description

Edington, a village in Moorlinch parish, Somerset, 5½ miles ENE of Bridgwater. It has a station on the Somerset and Dorset Junction railway, 138 miles from London, and contains the hamlet of Burtle, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bridgwater, Acreage, 2191; population, 482. The living is a perpetual curacy united with the perpetual curacy of Chilton-on-Polden, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £120 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church was rebuilt in 1879 in the Perpendicular style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySomersetshire 
Civil parishMoorlinch 
HundredWhitley 
Poor Law unionBridgwater 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Edington from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Edington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictSedgemoor
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtTA7
Post TownBridgwater