Easton in Gordano, Somerset
Easton-in-Gordano or St George, a parish in Somerset, on the left side of the river Avon, 5 miles WNW of Bristol, and 1 mile from Pill station on the G.W.R. It contains Pill pilot station, and has a post office under Bristol; money order and telegraph office, Pill. Acreage, 1868 of land, and 231 of tidal water and foreshore; population of the civil parish, 2400; of the ecclesiastical, 651. The surface is rather elevated, and commands beautiful prospects along the Avon and into the Bristol Channel. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £184. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is modern. The vicarage of Pill is a separate benefice. There are Baptist and Wes-leyan chapels. There is a brewery at Lodway.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Easton-In-Gordano St. George|
|Poor Law union||Bedminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Easton in Gordano from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Easton-In-Gordano (St. George))
Online maps of Easton in Gordano are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.