East Quantoxhead, Somerset
Quantoxhead, East, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, on the coast, near the Quantock Hills, 4 miles E of Williton station on the G.W.R., and 4½ E of Watchet. Post town, Kilve, under Bridgwater; money order and telegraph office, Williton. Acreage, 2338; population, 199. All the parish, with the exception of the glebe of 28 acres, is owned by the Lnttrells. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £190 with residence. The church and chancel have been restored. Miss Biffen the miniature painter, born without hands or arms, was a native. The Court House is a seat of the Luttrell family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Quantoxhead St. Mary|
|Hundred||Williton and Freemanners|
|Poor Law union||Williton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at East Quantoxhead 1654-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Quantoxhead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Quantoxhead, East (St. Mary))
Online maps of East Quantoxhead are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.