East Lydford, Somerset
Lydford, East, a parish in Somerset, on the river Brue and the Fosse Way, 4 miles W of Castle Gary station on the G.W.R. Post town, Somerton; money order office, Keinton Mandeville; telegraph office, Alford. Acreage, 644; population of the civil parish, 147; of the ecclesiastical, 168. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £217 with residence. The old church stood in a low meadow and became very dilapidated. The present church was built on another site in 1866, at a cost of nearly £3000, is in the Early English style, comprises nave and chancel, with a bold S porch, and has a tower at the N side of the chancel-arch, square in the basement, octagonal above, and surmounted by a spire about 90 feet high.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Lydford St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Shepton-Mallet|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Lydford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Lydford, East (St. Peter))
Online maps of East Lydford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.