East Cranmore, Somerset
Cranmore, East, a parish in Somerset, under the Mendip Hills, near Cranmore station on the G.W.R., and 4 miles E of Shepton-Mallet. Post town, West Cranmore, under Shepton-Mallet. Acreage, 1059; population, 112. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Doulting, jn the diocese of Bath and Wells. Cranmore Hall, the seat of the Paget family, is in this parish. The church was rebuilt in 1850.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Cranmore St. James|
|Poor Law union||Shepton-Mallet|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Cranmore from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cranmore, East (St. James))
Online maps of East Cranmore are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.