East Chinnock, Somerset
Chinnock, East, a parish in Somerset, 5 miles from Yeovil and Crewkerne stations on the L. & S.W.R., and 5½ from Yeovil station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Yeovil; money order and telegraph office, West Coker. Acreage, 1360; population, 513. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £180. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The chancel of the church, restored in 1884, and the tower are good, but the nave, spoilt by alterations made in 1837, is poor. Some improvements were made in 1893-94, amongst them being reseating.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Chinnock St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Yeovil|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Chinnock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chinnock, East (St. Mary))
Online maps of East Chinnock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.