Dunkerton, a parish in Somerset, on the Fosse Way and the Somerset Canal, 2 miles from Wellow station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and 5 SW by S of Bath. It contains Carlingcott, and has a post office under Bath; money order office, Peasedown St John; telegraph office, Wellow railway station. Acreage, 1222; population of the civil parish, 462; of the ecclesiastical, 374. A coal-field, which has its centre at Radstock, begins at Dunkerton, and the pits of it pass through three formations, lower oolite, lias, and new red sandstone, before reaching the coal. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £370 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1860, and there are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dunkerton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Bath|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dunkerton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dunkerton (All Saints))
Online maps of Dunkerton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.