Dodington, a parish in Somerset, near the Quantock Hills, 7 miles from Williton station on the G.W.R., and 10 WNW of Bridgwater. Post town, Bridgwatcr; money order and telegraph office, Nether Stowey. Acreage, 543; population, 100. Limestone is quarried. A copper mine was formerly worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £72. The church is Later English, with a tower, and is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Williton and Freemanners|
|Poor Law union||Williton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Dodington 1538-1805, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dodington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dodington)
Online maps of Dodington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.