Dinder, a parish in Somerset, 2 miles E of Wells station on the G.W. and Somerset and Dorset railways. Post town, and money order and telegraph office, Wells. Acreage, 1080; population, 240. The manor belongs to the Somerville family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £170 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church consists of nave, chancel, and north aisle, with porch and square tower, and contains a fine Jacobean stone pulpit of date 1621, and monuments of the Somervilles and others. It was well restored in 1872.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dinder St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Wells|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dinder from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dinder (St. Michael))
Online maps of Dinder are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.