Snailwell, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire, 2½ miles N of Newmarket station on the G.E.R. There is a post office under Newmarket; money order and telegraph office,Exning. Acreage, 2034; population, 181. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to the Tharp family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £342 with residence. The church is an ancient building of flint and stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a round western tower of Norman work. It has a fine reredos and some good stained windows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Snailwell St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Newmarket|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Snailwell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Snailwell (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Snailwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.