Curry Rivel, Somerset
Curry-Rivell, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands near the river Parret, 2 miles WSW of Lang-port station on the G,W.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Taunton. The parish includes also the tithings of Hambridge and Portfield, part of tlu-tithings of Burton-Pynsent and Week, and part of the hamlet of Westport. Acreage, 4881; population of the civil parish,-1549; of the ecclesiastical, 1063. The surface is hilly, and the rocks include blue lias. The living is a vicarage, united with the perpetual curacy of Weston, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; joint gross value, £310 with residence. The church is Early English, consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower, has beautiful windows, and contains carved oaken seats and screen, and a curious monument of M. and R. Jennings. The vicarage of Hambridge is a separate benefice. There is a Congregational chapel and also a reading-room.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Curry-Rivell St. Andrew|
|Hundred||Abdick and Bulstone|
|Poor Law union||Langport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Curry Rivel 1642-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1653.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch, a north chapel dating from the 13th century, in which are some very fine Decorated monuments of the L'Orti family, and an embattled western tower containing a clock, presented by Miss Gamlin in October, 1880, and 8 bells, of which the tenor was re-cast in May, 1887, and 3 new bells added in 1897 to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Her late Majesty, Queen Victoria: there are remains of ancient glass in the north aisle windows, and the west window is a memorial to Miss Pinney: the east window of the south transept, inserted in 1913, was the gift of Mr. R. Alfred: there are sittings for 500 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Curry Rivel from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Curry-Rivell (St. Andrew))
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Online maps of Curry Rivel are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.