Cucklington, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands on the boundary with Dorsetshire, 3½ miles from Wincanton station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and was once a market-town. It has a post office under Bath; money order office, Wincanton; telegraph office, Sandley. Acreage of the civil parish, 1795; population, 290; of the ecclesiastical, 665. The living is a rectory, united with Stoke-Trister and Bayford, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; joint net value, £324. The church is Early English; consists of nave, aisles, transept, and chancel, with tower and spire, and is good. It was well restored in 1880.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cucklington St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cucklington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cucklington (St. Lawrence))
Online maps of Cucklington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.