Shudycamps, a parish, with a village, in Cambridgeshire, on the borders of Suffolk, 2½ miles E from Bartlow station on the Cambridge and Melford branch of the G.E.R., and 3½ SW from Haverhill. Post town, Linton, under Cambridge; money order and telegraph office, Haverhill. Acreage, 2362; population, 369. Shudy Camps Park is a mansion of red brick standing in a park of about 95 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £115 with residence. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient building of rubble in the Perpendicular style, said to date from the 11th century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shudy-Camps St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Linton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shudycamps from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shudy-Camps (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Shudycamps are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.