Creech St Michael, Somerset
Creech St Michael, a parish in Somerset, on the river Tone and the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal, adjoining Thorne station, and 3 miles from Taunton station on the G.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Taunton; telegraph office, Henlade. Acreage, 2300; population of the civil parish, 1037; of the ecclesiastical, 1041. There are some large paper mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £385 with residence. The church is ancient but good, and consists of nave, chancel, aisle, and porch, with square tower, which has a peal of five bells. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Creech St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Taunton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Creech St. Michael 1665-1814, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Creech St Michael from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Creech, or Creke (St. Michael))
Online maps of Creech St Michael are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.