Corton Denham, Somerset
Corton Denham, a parish in Somerset, 3 miles from Sparkford station on the G.W.R., and 4 N of Sherborne. Post town, Sherborne, which is the money order office; telegraph office, Rimpton. Acreage, 1392; population, 303. Roman coins have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £330 with residence. Patron, Lord Portman. The church was built in 1870 in the Early English style, and is good. There is a Wesleyan, chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Corton-Denham St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Corton Denham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Corton-Denham (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Corton Denham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.