Compton Pauncefoot, Somerset
Compton-Pauncefoot, a parish in Somerset, 2 miles E by N of Sparkford station on the G.W.R., and 5 WSW of Wincanton. Post town, North Cadbury, under Bath; telegraph office, Sparkford. Acreage, 673; population of the civil parish, 172; of the ecclesiastical, which includes Black-ford, 290. Compton Castle is a seat in the neighbourhood. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Blackford, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; joint value, £359. The church is Later English, with tower and spire, and is very good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Compton-Pauncefoot St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Compton Pauncefoot from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Compton-Pauncefoot (St. Mary))
Online maps of Compton Pauncefoot are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.