Shingay or Shengay, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire, on the river Cam, 6 miles S from Potton station on the Sandy and Cambridge section of the L. & N.W.R., and 6 N from Ashwell station on the Hitchin, Royston, and Cambridge branch of the G.N.R. Post town, Royston; money order and telegraph office, Bassingbourn. Acreage, 768; population, 74. The property belongs to Lord Robartes. A preceptory of Knights Templars was founded here in 1140 by Sybilla, daughter of Roger de Montgomery. Traces of the foundations of the church are still discernible. The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory of Wendy.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shingay St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Royston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shingay from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shingay (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Shingay are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.