Compton Dundon, Somerset
Compton-Dunden, a parish in Somerset, on the river Carey, 2¼ miles NNW of Somerton, and 4 S by W of Glas-tonbury station on the Somerset and Dorset railway. It includes the tithings of Compton and Dunden, and the hamlet of Littleton, and its post town is Somerton, under Taunton; money order and telegraph office, Somerton. Acreage, 2759; population, 504. The manor-house has been partitioned into small dwellings, and an out-building of it contains a richly-carved, ancient, circular window. Dunden Beacon, adjacent to it, is an entrenched eminence 360 feet high. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £278. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is old but good. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Compton-Dundon St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Langport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Compton Dundon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Compton-Dundon (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Compton Dundon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.