Clutton, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands near Highbury Camp, 3 miles S of Pensford, with a station on the G.W.R., 121 from London, and has a post and money order office under Bristol; telegraph office, Temple Cloud. The parish comprises 1698 acres; population, 1095. There are extensive collieries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £115 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Warwick. The church is Norman, with a modern tower, and there are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels. A school has £20 from endowment, and other charities. There is a workhouse in the parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clutton St. Augustine|
|Poor Law union||Clutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clutton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Clutton (St. Augustine))
Online maps of Clutton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online: