Shepreth, a parish, with a village, in Cambridgeshire, on the Hitchin, Royston, and Cambridge section of the G.N.R., 5 miles NE by N of Royston, and 8 SW of Cambridge. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Royston; money order office, Foulmere; telegraph office at the railway station. Acreage, 1318; population, 375. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £60 with residence. The church, which was restored in 1870, is an ancient building of flint and brick in the Early English style. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shepreth All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Royston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shepreth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shepreth (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Shepreth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.