Chilton Cantilo, Somerset
Chilton-Cantelo, a parish in Somerset, on the river Yeo, 5 miles N of Yeovil station on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. Post town, Ilchester; money order and telegraph office, Rimbton. Acreage, 634; population of the civil parish, 116; of the ecclesiastical, 148. The living is a rectory, with that of Ashington annexed, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; joint net value, £204. The church is very good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chilton-Cantilo St. James|
|Poor Law union||Yeovil|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chilton Cantilo from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chilton-Cantilo (St. James))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.