Chew Stoke, Somerset
Chew-Stoke, a parish in Somerset, 4½ miles SW of Pensford station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Bristol; money order and telegraph office, Chew-Magna. Acreage, 2162; population, 653. Limestone and building-stone occur. A small nunnery was founded here by Elizabeth de Santa Cruce. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £202 with residence. The church is ancient, and has been rebuilt with the exception of the tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A school has £80 from endowment. Lord Mayor Champneis was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chew-Stoke St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Clutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chew Stoke from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chew-Stoke (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Chew Stoke are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.