Chew Magna, Somerset
Chew-Magna, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands on an affluent of the river Avon, 3 miles W of Pensford station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bristol, and was once a borough and a market-town. The parish includes the tith-ings of Northelm, Stone, Knowie, and Sutton, and both it and the village are sometimes called Bishops-Chew. Acreage, 5014; population of the civil parish, 1481; of the ecclesiastical, 985. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £600 with residence. The church is Decorated English, and has been restored. The perpetual curacy of Dundry is a separate benefice. There is a chapel of ease at Bishop-Sutton. There are also Baptist and Wes-leyan chapels. Sutton Court, Chew Court, Manor House, and Highfields are the chief residences.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chew Magna St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Clutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chew Magna from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chew Magna (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Chew Magna are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.