Cheddon Fitzpaine, Somerset
Cheddon-Fitzpaine, a parish in Somerset, on the river Tone, near Bridgewater Canal, 2¼ miles NE by N of Taunton station on the G.W.R. Post town, Taunton, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 971; population, 275. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £437 with residence. The church is old, and was restored in 1861.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cheddon-Fitzpaine St. Mary Magdalene|
|Hundred||Taunton and Taunton-Dean|
|Poor Law union||Taunton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Cheddon Fitzpaine 1559-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cheddon Fitzpaine from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cheddon-Fitzpaine (St. Mary Magdalene))
Online maps of Cheddon Fitzpaine are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.