Charterhouse on Mendip, Somerset
Charterhouse-on-Mendip, a locality in Somerset, adjacent to Blagdon parish, 5 miles E by N of Axbridge. Acreage, 2457; population, 73. It had anciently a cell to Witham Carthusian priory.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Axbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Charterhouse on Mendip from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Charterhouse-on-Mendip)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.