Charlinch, a parish in Somerset, on an affluent of the river Parret, near the Quantock Hills, 5 miles W by N of Bridgewater railway station. Post town, Bridgewater; money order and telegraph office, Cannington. Acreage, 1355; population of the civil parish, 191; of the ecclesiastical, 197. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £303 with residence, in the gift of the representatives of the late Lord Taunton. The church is old but good, and was restored in 1887. Gothelney Hall, a very ancient building, is in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Charlinch St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Charlynch 1745-1779, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Charlinch from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Charlinch (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.