Catcott, a village and a parish, formerly a chapelry, in the parish of Morelinch, Somersetshire, 3 miles SSW of Shap-wick railway station, and 7 ENE of Bridgewater. The parish includes part of Burtle hamlet. It has a post office under Bridgewater; money order office, Edington; telegraph office, Edington railway station. Acreage, 2302; population, 559. The living is a donative in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £73. The church is Norman. There are two Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Catcott from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Catcott)
Online maps of Catcott are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.