Parson Drove, Cambridgeshire
Parson Drove, a village and an ecclesiastical parish, which was formed in 1870 from the civil parish of Levering-ton, Cambridgeshire. The village stands three-quarters of a mile S of the boundary with Lincolnshire, 5¼ miles W of Wisbech, and 2¼ N of Murrow station on the G.N. and G.E. Joint railway, and has a post and money order office under Wisbech; telegraph office, Murrow (R.S.O.) The ecclesiastical parish contains also the hamlets of Drove Fen, Swan Gull, and part of the hamlet of Murrow. Population, 159. There is a parish council of eight members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; gross value, £340 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely. The church was built in the reign of Henry V., is a building of stone in the Early English style, and consists of nave and aisles with a tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wisbech|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Parson Drove from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Parson-Drove)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Parson Drove are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.