Brompton Regis, Somerset
Brompton-Regis, a village and a parish in Somersetshire. The village stands near the river Exe, 4½ miles NE of Dulverton station on the G.W.R., and has a post office under Dulverton (R.S.O.), which is the money order and telegraph office. It was once a market-town. The parish comprises 9029 acres; population, 682. A priory of Black canons was founded at Barlinch in the time of Henry II. by William de Lay. Building stone abounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £286 with residence. Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church was restored in 1887. There are Congregational and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Brompton Regis St. Mary|
|Hundred||Williton and Freemanners|
|Poor Law union||Dulverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brompton Regis from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brompton Regis (St. Mary))
Online maps of Brompton Regis are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.