UK Genealogy Archives logo

Brent, South, or Brent Knoll, Somerset

Historical Description

Brent, South, or Brent-Knoll, a village and a parish in Somersetshire. The village stands under Brent-Knoll, 1 mile from Brent-Knoll station on the G.W.R., and 7½ miles SW of Axbridge. It has a post and money order office wider Highbridge (R.S.O.); telegraph office, East Brent. The parish includes also the hamlet of Wick. Acreage, 8339; population of the civil parish, 770; of the ecclesiastical, 789. The manor belonged formerly to the abbots of Glastonbury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath .and Wells; gross value, £545 with residence. Patron, the Archdeacon of Wells. The church is partly Norman, and contains a large monument, to a Somerset of 1G63. There is a Bible Christian chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySomersetshire 
Ecclesiastical parishSouth Brent St. Michael 
HundredBrent with Wrington 
Poor Law unionAxbridge 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Brent, South, or Brent Knoll from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Brent, South, or Brent Knoll are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.