Bratton Seymour or Bratton St Maur, Somerset
Bratton-Seymour or Bratton-St-Maur, a parish in Somersetshire, 2½ miles NW of Wincanton station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway, and 3¼ SE of Castle Cary. Post town, Wincanton (under Bath), which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1486; population of the civil parish, 166; of the ecclesiastical, 111. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £140 with residence. The church stands on a green eminence overhanging a dell.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bratton-Seymour Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bratton Seymour or Bratton St Maur from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bratton-Seymour (Holy Trinity))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.