Bradford, a parish in Somersetshire, on the river Toney 3 miles NE of Wellington station on the G.W.R., and 4 WSW of Taunton, under which it has a post and money order office; telegraph office, Norton-Fitzwarren. The parish comprises 1814 acres; population, 444. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £117 with residence. The church has been restored. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bradford St. Giles|
|Hundred||Taunton and Taunton-Dean|
|Poor Law union||Wellington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Bradford 1558-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bradford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bradford (St. Giles))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.