Bleadon, a parish in Somersetshire, on the river Axe, 1 mile from Bleadon and Uphill station on the G.W.R., 139 miles from London, and 4½ SE of Weston-super-Mare. It includes the hamlets of Oldmixon and Shiplet, and has a post office under Weston-super-Mare, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 2962; population, 563. Remains of an ancient British camp are on Bleadon Hill, and bones, coins, and armour have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £450 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church was repaired in 1859. M. Casaubon was for some time rector.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bleadon St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Axbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1706.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel (dedicated in 1317), nave, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: there are several memorial windows and a font of Transition Norman date: on the south side of the chancel is a canopied tomb: the pulpit of stone is octagonal, and has five disengaged sides, ornamented with Perpendicular carving: on one side of the porch, within a sunk panel, is a group in relief of the Virgin and Child, with kneeling figures of a nun and an ecclesiastic; it may once have formed the head of a cross: in 1832 the tower was struck by lightning and injured: the interior of the building was thoroughly restored in 1859 and 1901, and in 1897 a new organ was provided at a cost of £200: there are sittings for 240 persons.
There is a United Methodist chapel, built in 1846 and seating 110 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bleadon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bleadon (St. Peter))
Online maps of Bleadon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.