Bishopsworth, a village in Bedminster parish, Somersetshire, 3 miles SW of Bristol on the G.W.R. In 1852 it was constituted a separate ecclesiastical parish. It has a post office under Bristol; money order and telegraph office. East Street, Bedminster. Population, 2198. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church was built in 1842, near the site of an old church dedicated to St Peter and St Paul, which is thought to have been erected by the Bishop of Coutances, after whom the village is called Bishopsworth, from two Saxon words meaning Bishop's Land (werde). The church was restored in 1884. There are Congregational and Methodist chapels.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Online maps of Bishopsworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.