UK Genealogy Archives logo

Bishops Hull, Somerset

Historical Description

Bishops-Hull, a parish in Somersetshire, 1½ mile W of Taunton on the G.W.R., under which it has a post office, and at which is the money order and telegraph office. Area of the civil parish of Bishops-Hull Within, 109 acres; population, 594. Area of the civil parish of Bishops-Hull Without, 1441 acres; population, 1097. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £300. There is a Congregational chapel. In 1885 all the part of Bishops-Hull parish outside the Taunton municipal borough, and all the part of Wilton outside such boundary, were united and constituted a separate parish and called Bishops-Hull Without. There are several handsome residences in the neighbourhood.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySomersetshire 
Ecclesiastical parishBishop's Hull St. Peter and St. Paul 
HundredTaunton and Taunton-Dean 
Poor Law unionTaunton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Bishop's Hull 1562-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bishops Hull from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Bishops Hull are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.