Binegar, a parish in Somersetshire, at the eastern end of the Mendip Hills, with a station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway, 132 miles from London, and 5 NW of Wells. Post town, Bath; money order and telegraph office, Oakhill railway station. Acreage, 1197; population of the civil parish, 321; of the ecclesiastical, 316. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £267 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church was rebuilt in 1859. A horse fair is held on the Wednesday in Whitsun Week. Gurney Slade is a hamlet and a small village ½ a mile to the east.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Binegar Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Shepton-Mallet|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Binegar from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Binegar (Holy Trinity))
Online maps of Binegar are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.