Barwick, a parish in Somerset, on the verge of the county, 2 miles S of Yeovil station on the G.W. and L. & S.W.R. It includes the hamlet of Stoford, and its post town is Yeovil. Acreage, 785; population, 454. Barwick House is a seat in the neighbourhood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, —£220. The church is Early English, and was restored in 1885-86. There are some exquisite carvings on the pulpit, desk, and pews, and several monuments to members of the Newman and Messiter families.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barwick St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Yeovil|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barwick (St. Mary Magdalene))
Online maps of Barwick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.