Barton St David, Somerset
Barton-St-David, a parish in Somerset, on the river Brue, 6 miles from Castle Gary station on the G.W.R., and 4 NE of Somerton. It includes the hamlet of Silver Street, and has a post office under Somerton; money order office, Keinton Mandeville; telegraph office, Butleigh. Acreage, 989; population, 308. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £259, in the gift of the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church was restored in 1874. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barton St. David|
|Poor Law union||Langport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barton St David from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barton (St. David))
Online maps of Barton St David are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.