Baltonsborough, a parish in Somerset, on the river Brue, 4 miles from West Pennard station on the Somerset and Dorset railway. It includes the hamlet of Southwood. Acre-.age, 2720; population, 718. Glastonbury is the post town. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to Butleigh, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; joint value, £423. The church is Later English, and was restored in 1875. There are Wesleyan and Moravian chapels, and two schools.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Baltonsborough St. Dunstan|
|Poor Law union||Wells|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Baltonsborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Baltonsborough (St. Dunstan))
Online maps of Baltonsborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.