Backwell, a parish in Somerset, 1 mile SE of Nailsea station on the G.W.R., and 7 WSW of Bristol. It includes the hamlets of Church-Town, Downside, Parley, Mooreside, and West-Town. It has a post and money order office at West-Town; telegraph office, Flax Bourton; railway station, Nailsea. Acreage, 2929; population of the civil parish, 956; of the ecclesiastical, 833. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £298 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Bath. The church is good, and has a very fine tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A fair is held on 21st September.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Backwell St. Andrew|
|Hundred||Hartcliffe with Bedminster|
|Poor Law union||Bedminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Backwell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Backwell (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Backwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.