Ashill, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 4 miles NW of Ilminster station on the G.W.R., and 8½ SSE of Taunton. It has a post office under Ilminster; money order and telegraph office, Hatch Beauchamp. The parish comprises 2740 acres; population of the civil parish, 552; of the ecclesiastical, 414. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £200. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1882.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Abdick and Bulstone|
|Poor Law union||Chard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Ashill 1558-1815, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ashill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ashill)
- Kelly's Directory of Somerset, 1914
Online maps of Ashill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.