Ashcott, a parish in Somerset, 5 miles WSW of Glastonbury. It has a station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and includes the hamlet of Pedwell. It has a post and money order office; telegraph office, Street. Acreage, 2382; population, 656. The manor belonged to Glastonbury Abbey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was restored in 1860, and again in 1889. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Pedwell, and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Ashcott. There is also a good reading-room with lending library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ashcott All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ashcott from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ashcott (All Saints))
Online maps of Ashcott are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.