Ash Priors, Somerset
Ash-Priors, a parish in Somerset, near Bishops-Lydeard station on the G.W.R., and 6 miles NW of Taunton. Post town, Bishops-Lydeard under Taunton. Acreage, 641; population, 128. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £70. The church is good, and was completely restored in 1874.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ash-Priors Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Taunton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Ash Priors 1700-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ash Priors from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ash-Priors (Holy Trinity))
Online maps of Ash Priors are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.