Ash (Martock), Somerset
Ash, a hamlet and an ecclesiastical parish in Martock parish, Somerset, 1 mile from Martock station on the G.W.R., and 3 miles SW of Ilchester. The district includes the hamlets of Ash, Witcombe, and Mitton, and was constituted in 1845. Post town, Martock under Ilminster. Population, 461. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £275 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Martock.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Yeovil|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1841.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Church of England
The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in 1840, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave and a western turret containing one bell: the chancel was added in 1889 at a cost of £400; and at the same time a new font, pulpit and lectern were given by friends of the parish, the total cost amounting to £635: the nave was restored in 1897 at a cost of £220: there are 250 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ash (Martock) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ash)
Online maps of Ash (Martock) are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.