UK Genealogy Archives logo

Newton, Cambridgeshire

Historical Description

Newton (near Cambridge), a parish in Cambridgeshire, 1½ mile SE of Harston station on the Cambridge, Royston, and Hitchin branch of the G.N.R., and 6 miles S by W of Cambridge. Post town, Cambridge; money order and telegraph office, Harston. Acreage, 994; population of the civil parish, 196; of the ecclesiastical, with Hauxton, 476. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Ely. Newton Manor House and Newton Hall are chief residences. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Hauxton, in the diocese of Ely; joint gross value, £274 with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The church is an ancient building of stone and clunch in the Early English and later styles; consists of nave, transepts, and chancel, with an embattled western tower; and contains an old hexagonal font.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCambridgeshire 
Ecclesiastical parishNewton St. Margaret 
HundredThriplow 
Poor Law unionChesterton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Newton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Newton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.

DistrictSouth Cambridgeshire
CountyCambridgeshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCB22
Post TownCambridge