Milton, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire. The village stands near the river Cam and the St Ives and Cambridge line of the G.E.R., 2¼ miles E from Hilston station, and 3½ NNE of Cambridge, and has a post office under Cambridge; money order and telegraph office, Waterbeach. The parish comprises 1416 acres; population, 518. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £414 with residence. Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The' church is a building of rubble and stone in mixed styles in good condition, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower, and contains a brass of Justice Coke of the year 1553 and several monuments to the Knight family, one of them by Flaxman, another by Chantrey. There is a Baptist chapel. Cole the antiquary, who left 100 volumes of manuscript to the British Museum, was a resident.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Milton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Chesterton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Milton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Milton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Milton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.