Mepal, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire. The village stands on the navigable New Bedford or Hundred Foot river, 4 miles SE of Chatteris, 7 W by N of Ely, and 1¼ N from Sutton station on the Ely, Sutton, and St Ives branch of the G.E.R., and has a post office under Ely; money order and telegraph office, Sutton. The parish comprises 1714 acres; population of the civil parish, 390; of the ecclesiastical, 382. Fortrey Hall, formerly an ancient country mansion, is now a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross value, £280 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The church is a building of flint and stone in the Early English style. There is a Union chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mepal St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Ely|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mepal from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Mepal (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Mepal are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.