Meldreth, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire. The village stands on a branch of the river Rhea, near the Hitchin and Cambridge branch of the G.N.R., 4 miles NNE of Royston, and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Royston; money order and telegraph office, Melbourn. The parish comprises 2513 acres; population of the civil parish, 713; of the ecclesiastical, 642. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; gross value, £200 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The church, which is a building of stone and clunch in the Perpendicular style, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels. Andrew Marvell, father of the poet Marvell, was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Meldreth Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Royston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Meldreth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Meldreth (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Meldreth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.