Manea or Maney, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Coveney parish, Cambridgeshire. The village stands near the Old Bedford river, and in the middle of the Fens of the Isle of Ely, 6½ miles SE of March, and has a station on the G.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under March. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 1277. The manor belongs to the Porter family. An incipient strong building stood on a hillock or small mound, designated Charlemont, and was the nucleus of an intended palace, founded by Charles L, but was relinquished at anearly stage in consequence of his public troubles. The hillock is still to be seen in the centre of the village. Ancient urns containing burnt bones have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. The church, erected in 1875 partly on the site of an earlier building, is a structure of stone in the Early Decorated style. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels. Conyers Middleton was incumbent.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||North Witchford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Manea from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Manea)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Manea are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.